● So Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is getting an origin story by none other than they guys of Penny Arcade.
“I was 14 when I first played The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past,” said Penny Arcade artist Mike Krahulik. “That was 20 years ago, and today I am introducing my son to The Legend of Zelda. The opportunity to work with Nintendo to create a Zelda comic is not only an incredible honor, but quite literally a childhood dream come true.”
Check it out at http://www.zelda.com/skywardsword/comic
And for you Zelda fanatics, the game lands on November 20th.
● You remember the nasty little legal disagreement between Elder Scrolls juggernaut Bethesda and little guy extraordinaire, Notch, aka the guy who created Minecraft? If you don’t, the disagreement stemmed from Notch’s development of a new game to be called Scrolls, which Bethesda later claimed was too close to their own Elder Scrolls and sued to change the title.
Notch originally offered to settle the dispute with a winner-take-all game of Quake 3 but Bethesda declined. The case eventually went to court where it was determined that Notch’s Mojang studio could use the title as planned.
Anyway, the actual news bit I came here to report (this is a news blog, remember?) is that there appears to be no hard feelings between David and Goliath as is revealed by a little easter egg in Skyrim.
The “Notched Pickaxe” is waiting for you on the Throat of the World. Nice to know that the Brotherhood (and Sisterhood) of Gamers is stronger than any giant corporate copyright lawsuit.
● The Xbox turns ten today! Can you believe it has already been ten years of Microsoft trying to stick it to Sony? Seriously, our gaming experience has been richer thanks to the offerings of the Big Three and Xbox has been the console of choice for me for since 2001. Looking back at all the great games and community innovations, it makes me shed a tiny tear.
Anyway, head over to Xbox.com and grab your free 10th Anniversary avatar item
● Orcs Must Die developer Robot Games has announced that there is no more DLC forthcoming for that title. Booooo-urns. The game is a blast and I was personally looking forward to new levels and challenges for it, but it’s still worth picking up if you’re a tower defense fan.
● Gaming God John Carmack says we all need to lower our expectation about the graphics leap in the next generation of consoles. Says His Doom-ness, “I sitll want to make better graphics, but I think we’re past the curve there,” said Carmack. “All the top-line games really do look good; I think there’s still one more step we can take…but I don’t think we have many of those steps left.”
Not sure if that’s really a letdown since so many games do look amazing already. I’ll take existing graphics with improved gameplay and storage capability, I guess.
● Saints Row The Third lands today and reviews have been very good. I’ve always liked this franchise more than GTA just because it doesn’t take itself seriously. At all. So if you’re into open world, gang-banging good times then grab your floppy dildo bat and pick up SR3.
Want to get in on the Star Wars: The Old Republic beta? Duh, of course you do! It would seem that beta keys are still available. Head thee over there and grab one while the getting is good. http://massively.enjin.com/torgiveaway